Even though most people agree that massage makes them feel good, many probably don't realize just how good a regular massage is for their overall health.
Experts estimate that upwards of eighty percent of disease is stress-related. And, perhaps nothing ages us faster, internally and externally, than high levels of stress. Massage is an effective tool for managing this stress.
Studies done by the Touch Research Institute in Miami and by the National Institute of Health now provide us with scientific proof for many of the benefits of massage:
- Helps relieve stress and fosters relaxation.
- Helps relieve muscle tension, stiffness, aching and pain.
- Reduces muscle spasms and cramping.
- Increases joint flexibility and range-of-motion.
- Improves postural alignment.
- Improves circulation of blood and movement of lymph fluids.
- Releases endorphins - amino acids that work as the body's natural painkillers.
- Improves overall nutrition and oxygen supply to tissue cells and helps eliminate waste products.
- Enhances health and nourishment of skin.
- Fosters faster healing of strained muscles and sprained ligaments by reducing pain and swelling, and formation of excessive scar tissue.
- Promotes deeper and easier breathing.
- Improves sleep quality and combats insomnia.
- Reduces blood pressure; slows heart rate.
- Helps relieve tension-realted headaches, migraines and effects of eye-strain.
- Helps relieve low-back pain.
- Enhances immunity by stimulating the lymph flow--the body's natural defense system.
- Assists post-surgery rehabilitation.
- Assists rehabilitation after injury.
- Helps athletes of any level prepare for, and recover from, strenuous workouts.
- Exercises and stretches weak, tight, or atrophied muscles.
- Assists with shorter, easier labor for expectant mothers and shortens maternity hospital stays.
- Provides greater overall energy.
Mental Benefits of Massage:
- Helps relieve mental stress.
- Fosters peace of mind.
- Promotes a relaxed state of mental alertness.
- Improves concentration.
- Improves ability to monitor stress signals and respond appropriately.
- Enhances capacity for calm thinking and creativity.
- Massage soothes, relaxes and nurtures creating a sense of well-being, peace and harmony.
- Feelings of being touched in a safe, caring and compassionate manner can be a powerful and transformational experience.
- Sharing of energy through touch facilitates healing on all levels and helps remind us we are not alone in the world. We can remember that we are all interconnected.
- By increasing our self-awareness and releasing old holding patterns in our bodies, massage frees us to be who we really are and experience life with joy and wholeness.